Wednesday, June 20, 2007

When in Doubt Leave it OUT!

There has been alot of talk around the boards and email groups about spacing after a period. Old school teaches two spaces. I, unfortunately, learned on a manual typewriter and can officially consider myself old school. I didn't realize I was doing myself such an injustice. Some editors actually state in their guidelines to single space after a period.

Fandangle Online Children's magazine states clearly in their guidelines:

Make sure that there is only one space between sentences.

It seems that the general feeling on this is to only use one space. I am going to take my official stand on the matter and say this:

When in doubt leave it out!

4 comments:

nomi said...

As I am from the old school, my college daughters told me that I was not with it. I just have a very hard time teaching my thumb not to tap twice! I think they are looking for "number of characters including spaces" but I still think it's easier to read with two spaces following the period. I'm trying to adapts to changes, so as not to grow old even faster. I only had to go back through this comment and take out about six!

Goadingthepen said...

LOL! I know the feeling. It is so automatic. There ought to be some kind of really good bone to give and old dog so the tricks would come more easily!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so can i consider myself to be in the future I mean why even type a dot in the first place then Maybe by the capitals alone the reader will be able to determine whether it is a new sentence or a proper noun Do you know what I mean I'm just thinking outloud here Why not start the trend of the future Better yet we'll probably all just be able to mind meld Gotta love Star Trek
Oh how I already miss my exclamation marks
randy

Anonymous said...

I just found the website who writes about
many
home business reviews

If you want to know more here it is
home business reviews